Subject: Re: xemacs and netbsd
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/25/1998 19:36:59
At 23:05 Uhr +0100 24.11.1998, Ken Nakata wrote:
>On Tue, 24 Nov 1998 19:58:33 +0100, Hauke Fath wrote:

>> If you run it via gnuclient (or the editclient.sh script), it is workable
>> even on a IIci.
>
>How is it different from the, ur, "normal" execution?

The following script ("editclient.sh") tries to attach a gnuclient to a
gnuserv (XEmacs server) running in the background. If it doesn't find it,
it starts a fresh one, waits till it has come up and then attaches to it.

<grabbed from comp.emacs.xemacs>
#!/bin/sh
#
# /usr/contrib/bin/editclient.sh
#
# Start gnuclient; start emacsserver if it isn't up yet

if gnuclient -batch -eval t >/dev/null 2>&1
then
  exec gnuclient ${1+"$@"}
else
  xemacs -unmapped -f gnuserv-start &
  until gnuclient -batch -eval t >/dev/null 2>&1
  do
     sleep 1
  done
  exec gnuclient ${1+"$@"}
fi

And on the Q700 where XEmacs is my default editor I have in ~/.xinitrc

	( sleep 1 ; exec xemacs -unmapped -f gnuserv-start ) &

-- all the other X clients are started likewise. A tcsh alias

	alias xc /usr/contrib/editclient.sh

gives me a shortcut, and ...

Just when I wanted to try this, XEmacs gave me a coredump with the -current
/usr/lib population I built two days ago.
I shall have to back that out again; ah well...

... it comes up as quick as vi, I wanted to say.

	hauke