Subject: Re: Errors on Running NetBSD...
To: Jonathan Ploudre <jploudre@yahoo.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/15/1998 12:29:17
On Sun, 15 Nov 1998, Jonathan Ploudre wrote:

> I am running a Quadra 650 with 56 MB ram and have NetBSD on an
> external hard drive. My problem with NetBSD might be related to a Mac
> problem that I have been unable to figure out yet--I always have a bad
> heap (the second heap) at 000021D0 on my system. It is bad even when I
> invoke Macsbug during startup and using Sys 7.5.1 and 8.0. I don't
> know what that heap is (I guess it is part of the System). I (often?)
> get unexplainable crashes with bus errors doing simple things like
> saving. I suspect the bus errors have to do with the bad heap which as
> a bad nonrelocatable point. I'm not a programmer--I like high level
> stuff like scripting--so my understanding of the preceding paragraph
> is really murky.

Probably not related. IIRC, the bad heap thing is a known problem with
Sys 7.5.x and MacsBug. Maybe someone on this list who's more familiar
than I with the Quadra 650 can help with your NetBSD problem. Have you
loaded 1.3.2, or a -current snapshot? What kind of hard drive?

It sounds like your file-system is corrupted, in any case. Can you run
"fsck -f" from single-user mode? If you get a lot of errors, it's
probably best, at this point, to make a new file-system and reload.
You could also run "fsck -fy" repeatedly, but you're likely to lose a
lot of files, so at least be prepared to reinstall from MacOS. If you
continue to use it the way it is, it's only going to get worse.