Subject: Re: Attempts at support for Apple 8-24 GC video card
To: Jason W. Fogt <jwfogt@midway.uchicago.edu>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@canolog.ninthwonder.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/15/1998 11:57:47
> Greetings everyone.  A recent gift to me has caused me to acquire an Apple
> Macintosh 8-24 GC NuBus video card.  It is my understanding that NetBSD
> doesn't have video interrupt information for this card at this point in
> time.  However, having a programming background, and having run NetBSD
> quite happily on my Mac IIci for almost 2 years now, I decided it was time
> to begin the trek down the long and slippery slope of kernel coding.

Cool!  :-)

> 1.  Is there any good way to tell if I am really clearing the interrupt
> for the card ?  My values seem a bit "strange" compared to those for the
> other cards that are in the code.

Well, if you install an interrupt and it fires more than once without
the machine getting wedged, it's probably getting cleared correctly.

> 2.  NetBSD (no matter what bit depth I have the card set to) seem to
> always think that the card is in monochrome mode.  Where exactly is this
> determination made, and how do I go about fixing this ?

That's pulled from the video resources in the ROM.  Here's the comment
from nubus.c:

/*
 * Get the resource for the first function on the card.
 * This is assumed to be at resource ID 0x80.  If we can
 * not find this entry (as we can not on some video cards),
 * check to see if we can get a different ID from the list
 * of video resources given to us by the booter.  If that
 * doesn't work either, take the first resource following
 * the board resource.
 */

I think Michael's responded to your other questions.

Cheers,
-allen

--
                    Allen Briggs - briggs@ninthwonder.com