Subject: Quadra 700 having problems
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Dave <smilncat@terracom.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/20/1998 17:05:51
Hello NetBSD team,

I think NetBSD is great. Everything goes smooth and runs very well on my
IIci with a 50 mhz Diimo card.I am using NetBSD 1.3.2 - the latest version.

But...

I tried installing a NetBSD on my Q700. Every time, no matter what hard
drive - large or small, or what kind of kernel i have used, it corrupts the
file system after i set my root password via passwd command (after, of
course, i rebooted after setting rc.conf up with the YES to allow
multi-user). I hope that makes sense. I am just following the FAQ
suggestions on how to set up NetBSD. Sometimes it just hangs when i enter
in the new password.

The file system check goes wild with all kinds of problems during that next
boot (if it didn't crash). The the kernel generally crashes when it reaches
"clearing /tmp" and i cannot get it to boot right again.

I realize the Q700 SCSI chip, while NCR, is a bit different from the '030
chips.

I have a Q700, 20 mb of RAM, Quantum hard drives of various sizes from 160
to 850. I saw the 1 gig problem on the FAQ area and left those kinds of
drives alone.

Does anyone know what might be wrong? Are the kernels to blame?

Thanks,
Dave