Subject: Re: MacBSD Install
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/08/1997 15:01:55
> Actually, I think that e (and maybe f) are normally reserved for
> additional Root type partitions,

I don't think so, but it's been a while since I looked at the code.  I
think it's:
	a is the first root partition at cluster 0
	b is the first swap
	c is the whole disk
	g is the first user (after 'a' since you might have one labelled
			     with both root and user flags)

After that, I think it fills in-order: d, e, f, h.  It would probably
make sense to skip the driver partitions if we can identify them.

> Just wondering, on a wide SCSI bus, what ID is the controller?  Is it
> always the last one?

Not always, I think, but I've only had limited exposure to wide.

> > 3. For each target that exists, determine its type:  hard drive is "sd", tape
> >    drive is "st", scanner is "ss", network card is "se", CD-Rom is "cd", and
> >    other is "su" (u for unknown).  I think there's also a separate "ch" for
> >    CD-ROM changers.

sd: disk
st: tape
ss: scanner
se: scsi/ethernet (cabletron only as far as I know)
ch: tape (only?) changer--I don't know if this does CD-ROM changers, too.
uk: unknown
su: "special user SCSI device" (not written yet)
	(printers? other hosts? ???)

-allen

--
              Allen Briggs - end killing - briggs@macbsd.com