Subject: can't recognize SE/30 internal video?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Nicholas Riley <nriley@tiac.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/23/1997 14:33:38
I had previously been running a version of NetBSD/mac68k from the middle of
January on my SE/30. Aside from dt being inoperative, and the system
stopping short of shutting down or restarting, this setup worked fine. The
partitions I had defined were very inconvenient, so today I
reformatted/reinstalled. with the 970710 kernel/binary snapshots from
ftp.netbsd.org. Like quite a few other people I've read about on the
mailing list recently, my boot stalls here:

[ preserving 310478 bytes of netbsd symbol table ]
Bootstrapping NetBSD/mac68k.
Getting mapping from MMU.
System RAM: 20971520 bytes in 5120 pages.
     Low = 0x, high = 0x1400000
  no internal video at address 0 -- videoaddr is 0xfee08040.
Done.
Bootstrapping the pmap system.
Pmap bootstrapped.
Moving ROMBase from 0x40800000 to 0x9f9000.
Video address 0xfee08040 -> 0xbf9000.

The responses I read to other people went along the lines of "there's
something wrong with support of your video card". SE/30 internal video has
been supported for the last 3+ years, right? :) It works fine with serial
console, displaying the above and:

Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
    The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.

NetBSD 1.2G (GENERICSBC) #34: Sat Jul 19 02:57:35 CDT 1997
    scottr@mystery:/amd/see/usr/src/sys/arch/mac68k/compile/GENERICSBC
Apple Macintosh SE/30  (68030)
real mem = 20971520
avail mem = 17072128
using 204 buffers containing 835584 bytes of memory
mrg: 'Mac II class ROMs' ROM glue, tracing off, debug off, silent traps
mrg: I/O map kludge for ROMs that use hardware addresses directly.
adb: using serial console
mainbus0 (root)
obio0 at mainbus0
adb0 at obio0 (ADB event device)
asc0 at obio0: Apple Sound Chip
sbc0 at obio0: options=1<PDMA>
scsibus0 at sbc0: 8 targets
sd0 at scsibus0 targ 4 lun 0: <QUANTUM, LP240S GM240S01X, 6.4> SCSI2
0/direct fi
xed
sd0: 234MB, 1818 cyl, 4 head, 65 sec, 512 bytes/sec x 479350 sectors
zsc0 at obio0 chip type 0
zstty0 at zsc0 channel 0 (console)
zstty1 at zsc0 channel 1 shielding from LocalTalk
nubus0 at mainbus0
ae0 at nubus0 slot 9: address 00:40:10:07:f8:fd, type Ethernet A-Series
32KB mem
ory
macvid0 at nubus0 slot e: Macintosh SE/30 Internal Video
macvid0: 512 x 342, monochrome
grf0 at macvid0
ite at grf0 not configured
...etc.

I downloaded the -current kernel sources yesterday in tar format and I was
planning on configuring a kernel with IP NAT and netatalk support. Should I
go ahead and compile it even if this video problem isn't solved? I never
really use the console much anyway, but it wouldn't hurt for it to be
usable. This version will restart my computer, which is an improvement. ;)

Replies cc:'ed to my address would be appreciated because I receive the digest.

Thanks,

--
Nicholas Riley ________ <mailto:nriley@cs.brandeis.edu>
<nriley@tiac.net>  <nriley@staff.feldberg.brandeis.edu>