Subject: Re: Ethernet on a IIci
To: None <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/04/1997 15:02:39

> On Fri, 4 Jul 1997 14:49:27 -0700 (PDT),
> Tristan Horn <tristan@camel.ethereal.net> wrote:
> > >
> > > Looks like ae driver's having trouble getting the MAC address...  You
> > > might want to take a look at the on-board ROM.
> >
> > Take a look at it?  Well, it has a sticker on it saying "SSI NB256 V1.0
> > 004010 02E61F", and it's removable (not soldered on).
> > I assume you want me to use some software to print out the contents...
>
> Urm, sorry.  That's what I meant.  You may have to dump/view the
> content of the ROM, using MacsBug or Slots program.  A copy of Slots
> should be found on ftp.macbsd.com.

But how to find the address therein? Actually, I bet it's 00:40:10:02:e6:1f.
:-)

> > I couldn't find any mention of *NIC, DP* or 839* on the card.  The data
> > sheet (linked off of http://www.sonicsys.com/cards.html) says that the
> > controller is a "Sonic Custom ASIC" (or "SONIC-T" for the CommSlot cards,
> > which I don't have).  It also says that the ROM size is 256 bytes.  The
> > part number (of the card) is 01-SSC-0403, claimed to also work on
> > Centris', Quadras, and NuBus PowerMacs.
>
> On which machine it claims to work doesn't matter.  What matters to
> NetBSD "ae" or "sn" driver is what programming model it uses.  NIC
> chip and SONIC chip are different enough to need different drivers.
> Your card is recognized by the "ae" driver that takes care of NIC
> variation, but I have a feeling that yours is a SONIC chip which the
> "sn" driver should recognize.
>
> (Is there any relationship between Sonic cards and SONIC chips?)

Between the company Sonic, and the chip named SONIC, I think no. Actually,
as far as I can tell, Sonic used 8390's on a number of cards. :-)

> > I suppose the easiest solution is to buy another card anyway, since I'm
> > going to have to put this back in the IIfx.  What's the cheapest 10bT card
> > I can get? :)
>
> Before shelling out $$$, I suggest you check out the working status
> page on www.macbsd.com.

If there isn't a 68000 or other CPU on the card, then I bet the card
will work with either the ae or sn driver, with a little better
identification code. So you won't have to buy a card, and you can help
NetBSD/mac68k grow!

The fact that it'll work with "Apple" drivers is a good sign, I think.
But I'm not an ethernet hacker (yet).

Take care,

Bill