Subject: Re: Quadra 610 BSD
To: Adrian Fowler <adrian@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/30/1997 16:02:54
On 1/29/1997 at 10:38 PM +0000, you wrote:

> Either way it dies.  I've checked the user survey and both of the people who
> have NetBSD working on Q610's have custom built kernels,

I've had NetBSD 1.2 working on my Q610 with various generic kernels... The
only thing is that since I have a 68LC040, I had problems once I got
running. But, to a point, I was able to boot and do things with stock
stuff. (Well, GENERIC stuff, anyway.)

I'd recommend something like GENERIC-9 just to start with. You can swap up
later, but that, if I remember correctly, was the first kernel that
included support for the Quadra's SCSI controller chip. (If I'm wrong about
this, I'm sure someone will correct me, but in any event, GENERIC-9 ran for
me. I think one or two later kernels worked as well, but nothing has had
proper FPU emulation as yet. This may not apply to you.)

--
        Mason Loring Bliss    /\    mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us
      PGPKeyID: 0x25B3D5B5   /()\   awake ? sleep() : dream();