Subject: Re: Booting troubles solved too
To: Christoph Ewering <eweri@uni-paderborn.de>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@og.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/28/1997 20:31:56
On Tue, 28 Jan 1997, Christoph Ewering wrote:

> Think this isn't right. Scott said that NetBSD will take /dev/cd0 instead.
> CD-ROMs have their own device-queue. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I thought Ken said that, but anyway, it is true that CD-ROM and tape
drives have their own `cd' and `st' device names, respectively.

> Could someone explain to me, what is the advantage for this order.
> To me it seems a little bit stupid to change the device number when
> another device is add to the scsi-bus.

This decision was made long, long ago; relative ordering is a two-edged
sword.  It is expected that anyone who uses NetBSD will compile their own
tailored kernel, which may include wiring down devices to specific device
names.  (Adding and removing kernel options is a much more common reason
you'd want to do this, anyway.)

--scott