Subject: My undertaking
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mark Murdock <fee@tetrahome.tetranet.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/27/1997 09:23:07
Before you bother reading this, the general content is in regards
to networking with localtalk cables in NetBSD.

My equipment:
Performa 550 w/fpu (machine running netbsd 1.2 generic20bc kernel)
Performa 575 (partitioned entirely as MacOS, sys 7.5.5, OT networking)
Mac SE (MacOS, 7.0.1, classic appletalk networking)

My goal:
To at least establish a connection between my P550 and P575 that will
support TCP/IP communication.
Furthermore, I'd *really* like to be able to connect P575 to P550
printer port (tty01) and use modem port (tty00) to establish an
internet connection with my ISP via 28.8kbps modem.  In other words,
turn my P550 NetBSD machine into a server for ftp, telnet, http, etc.
*NOTE: My provider assigns me a dynamic IP address on PPP establishment.

My progress to date:
Hardly worth mentioning.  I have *almost* got the machines to sustain
a PPP connection through a serial connection from printer port to
printer port.  It dies immediately telling me that it cannot locate
a local ip address.  I have messed with many many config files including
named.boot, hosts, /etc/ppp/options, /etc/*.conf, etc, etc.  I'm at
a loss at this point.

My plea:
Could someone please mail me with a generalized outline, or refer me to
a document that would do so, for getting a local area tcp/ip network
organized with NetBSD and giving that LAN internet access?

In my wildest dreams I imagined a daisy chain localtalk setup enabling
me to even route tcp/ip packets from my SE as well.

Is this possible?

Thanks sincerely,
Mark