Subject: Re: mount floppy?
To: Christoph Ewering <eweri@uni-paderborn.de>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/24/1997 09:18:49

> Hello John!
>
> I think there isn't any floppy-support in the current distribution.
> Mostly because no one try to write a driver for the floppy and if someone
> will use the routines in ROM, it will destroy the multitasking of NetBSD.

With the way Apple made the floppy controller, there's no way to
not destroy multi-tasking w/ the floppy. A/UX had to freeze everything when
someone put in a floppy, so will we. :-)

> But I think it is better to have floppy-support with bad multitasking,
> because it is only a short time, when i read or write to a floppy, than
> having no support at all.
> Maybe the floppy-support with ROM-routines is inacceptable for a firewall
> or a fileserver, but it doesn't matter if i use the NetBSD as a standalone
> workstation.

As Paul mentioned, Hauke Faith (sp?) is working on it. He's got a trial one
that works with 800K floppies.

> > if thisis a faq i don't mind being referred to a faq page but this is what
> > i did:
> >
> > formatted msdos on my mac
> > mkdir floppy
> > mount -t msdos /dev/fd ./floppy/
> >
> > error: not supported  or something to that effect.

The problem is the /dev/fd line.

> > also, how to cause the mac to eject the disk w/o using a paperclip?
> > is it possible to mount a mac format disk?

When we get floppy support, yes.

> > also nb: will the mac REALLY mount an amiga dos disk? my brother often
> > comes to surf and i'd like to force him to use the se/30. he has an amiga.

You're refering to the adosfs stuff? That's mainly so that the NetBSD/amiga
folks can read their hard disks, just as the macfs stuff is so we can read
ours.

Take care,

Bill