Subject: Re: printer / modem
To: Aaron Namba <musicman@koa.iolani.honolulu.hi.us>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@Mars.utm.edU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/08/1997 21:28:05
On Wed, 8 Jan 1997, Aaron Namba wrote:

> > - How can I use the printer (connected to the serial modem port). A
> > DeskWriter by HP?
> >
> Uhh, you might have to recompile the kernel or at least write some device
> drivers or something like that.  Not for newbies.

Well, if the DeskWriter can take raw ASCII, you could configure lpr to do
that.  Otherwise, get an ethernet card and the appropriate Asante
EtherPrint or something like that to connect the printer to the ethernet
mini-network, and use GhostScript.  The chances of getting localtalk
support are... not so good, except maybe on Quadras, it might be more
sane.

> > - How can I use my modem to gett a PPP connection to my prvider and the use
> > telnet, ftp, etc. ?

I believe there's stuff about PPP in the faq on puma.macbsd.com (a.k.a.
ftp.macbsd.com, etc.), but I'm not sure.

> > - Floppy disks?

Sorry, due to the fact that no information is available on the controller
chip, floppy drives are not supported at this time... except I think there
was some progress along the lines of the oringinal 800k drives, nothing
for current floppy drives, anyway.  Perhaps if/when MkLinux gets the SWIM
support working for the PowerMacs, some support might be borrowed....  :-)

> Not necessarily the opposite of the installer.  Did you try the
> mini-shell?  There's a ufs to hfs command in there.

Either that or hfsutilities, available from the ftp site at puma
(ftp://ftp.macbsd.com/pub/NetBSD/contrib/unix somewhere)

Later,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://globegate.utm.edu                  http://www.utm.edu/~davagatw |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw             http://www.nyx.net/~dgatwood |