Subject: Re: powerbook 520c
To: None <musicman@koa.iolani.honolulu.hi.us>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@daikichi.nonexistent.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/08/1997 09:16:17
On Tue, 7 Jan 1997 08:22:45 -1000 (HST),
Aaron Namba <musicman@koa.iolani.honolulu.hi.us> wrote:
> I am very new to this list, and I was trying to search the archives, but
> found them a bit too numerous, and what i did search through had nothing
> on newer models.
>
> The Quadra 630 seems to be the newest model supported (or soon to be
> supported).  What prevents MacBSD from working on other models, such as
> mine?  I realize that the hardware is different, but it can't be that
> radically different that the booter crashes so early.

This sounds to me like a case of the "insufficient memory partition"
problem.  Did you try giving more memory to the Installer?

> I tried installing
> netbsd a while ago, and I would like to try again if anyone can tell me
> that I have at least a hint of getting it to work.

PB 520 and 540 are not yet supported due to a floating point emulation
(FPE) bug which has been preventing NetBSD from running reliably on
any LC040 based machine (not just mac68k but any other m68k port).

Just FYI: I'm working on it unless someone else's taken it over
without telling me (which would be no problem, BTW), and I think we
know how to fix it, but I have had little time to do the actual work
due to a personal matter.  IOW, it'll be available when it is
available.  Sorry, folks.

ken