Subject: Re: Help with BSD/LCII will not boot
To: Michael Peters <sailor@oro.net>
From: John P. Wittkoski <jpw@netscape.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/06/1997 12:36:49
Michael Peters wrote:

> On Mon, 6 Jan 1997 briggs@puma.macbsd.com wrote:
>
> <headersnip>
> > From: ADP_Markf@western.edu (Mark Fogg)
> > Subject: Help with BSD/LCII will not boot
> >
> > I have an LCII 4/180 without a FPU. I have tried booter
> > v1.9.4 with the netbsd12 kernel. It displays as far as the line "adb:bus
> > system" and then hangs.  I have partitioned the 180MB
> > HD into 60MB root & 60MB user a 20MB swap & 20MB Mac. I ran the installer
> > and it displays as far as the line "adb:bus
> > system" and then hangs.  . I have read the
> > "what to do when it doesn't boot" part of the installation document but am
> > no wiser.
>
>   The LCIII is technically not supported in netbsd1.2.  an error in
> documentation has left a few confused bodies. =).  /however/ it does work
> in the -current kernels. i would recommend going to ftp.netbsd.org and
> getting the GENERICSBC-15 kernel.  I have a machine very similar to yours,
> and I've been running for just over a month with no problems on that
> kernel.

I'll note that the original message said LCII (2) not LCIII (3).
If your LCII systems won't boot properly with the kernels that
Michael mentions above, try the ADBTEST.160 kernel at:

ftp://ftp.macbsd.com/pub/outgoing/jpw/kernels/current/ADBTEST.160.tar.gz

It is reported to work with the LCII.

	--John