Subject: Re: Some changes for the brave of heart
To: Scott Reynolds <scottr@og.org>
From: Erik Bertelsen <erik@sockdev.uni-c.dk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/06/1997 08:14:29
.. >  -  You have a Duo 2x0, Quadra 6x0, Quadra 700, or AV Quadra that works
.. >     with any kernel;
.. >
.. >040-based:
.. >
.. >  -  Add AV internal video probe
.. >  -  Get memory mapping from Mac OS page tables, trying the supervisor
.. >     page tables and falling back to the user page tables (i.e. this
.. >     might work on both the AV machines and on the Q6x0/Q700).
.. >
.. >If you try this, please let me know if they cause problems or get your
.. >machine to work where it hadn't previously.
.. >
.. >Thanks!
.. >
.. >--scott

I finally came around to play with Scott's patch in a somewhat controlled
fashion.

If I install the patch completely (locore, machdep, and pmap_bootstrap),
the machine will hang solidly during boot just after blanking the screen
and printing one line ("preserving xx bytes of netbsd symbol table"). No
other messages are printed.

If I remove the patch from locore.s, it'll boot, but then get_mapping will
not get called because of the missing changes in locore.

My environment:
Quadra 610 (w/ full 68040)
Internal video, 14" apple monitor.
NetBSD-current of 3 Jan 1997.
Booter 1.9.4.

This machine is currently running with a kernel built from -current
without any patches. This works quite well except that it needs Scott's
patch to recognize the intvid device (and consequently there is no grf
device neither, which in consequence means that it does not run dt or X).

regards
Erik Bertelsen