To: Stefan Schmiedl <swsch@regensburg.netsurf.de>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/05/1997 11:06:25
On Sun, 5 Jan 1997 13:47:56 +0100
 swsch@regensburg.netsurf.de (Stefan Schmiedl) wrote:

 > > Maybe so there is:
 > > help-mac68k   Help on getting Macs running BSD and Misc.
 > > port-mac68k   Porting issues of the kernel
 > > soft-mac68k   Porting, compiling, and running of software packages
 > > etc.
 >
 > I strongly support this idea.

I don't really like this idea...

We have port-mac68k for NetBSD/mac68k-specific messages.

We have netbsd-help for generic NetBSD help questions.

We have netbsd-users for generic NetBSD messages.

All of the message categories listed for the "new lists" fit into
the three existing lists I mention.

Examples:

	Help on getting Macs running NetBSD.	port-mac68k
	Help on adding users.			netbsd-help
	Help witht the Mac X server.		port-mac68k
	"I found this bug in the SCSI driver."	netbsd-bugs via send-pr(1)
						  (i.e. file a bug report :-)
	Help porting some piece of software
	  to NetBSD.				netbsd-help or netbsd-users

(Porting some piece of software to NetBSD/mac68k is not any different
than porting it to any other NetBSD platform, so posting it to a broader
list means you get a richer set of responses.)

There is a lot (too much, IMO) of "generic NetBSD" stuff on this list,
and folks simply need to be more aware of where their messages would be
more appropriate (as well as read the appropriate FAQs, etc.)

Just my $0.02.