Subject: Re: Compiling Perl 4.x
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Mark Andres <mark@giganet.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/05/1997 21:35:02
Hi,

First of all, thanks for the help.

>> /usr/include/machine/param.h:100: warning: `ALIGNBYTES' redefined
>> config.h:38: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
>
>Looks like perl's config's idea of ALIGNBYTES disagrees with NetBSD's
>idea.
>
>NetBSD keeps some parameters in different places than many non-NetBSD-aware
>configurers expect. This case might be one of them. Another possability
>might be that the two definitions are compatable, just different.
>
>Maybe just try deleting the definition from config.h

I tried this and was able to also eliminate a few more problems with the
use -D_GNUC flag.  However, I am now stuck again.

This time, when I tried to run make, I get this:

---
In file included from perly.y:41:
perl.h:966: stray '\' in program
perl.h:966: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
perl.h:967: stray '\' in program
perl.h:967: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
*** Error code 1

Stop.
---

This makes me wonder if there is not a problem with the perl kit that I
downloaded.  I think I will try to download a different one and see what
happens.

Thanks again for the help,

Mark
Mark Andres                  Head, Support Dept.
           GIGANET by Business Network Telecom (BNT)
E-mail:  mark@giganet.net    URL: http://www.giganet.net/staff/mark/
Nihongo: $B%^!<%/(B $B%"%s%I%l%#%9!"!!%5%]!<%HItD9!"!!(BGIGANET (BNT)