Subject: Re: problems on a IIsi ( X!)
To: tinusz nijmeijers <tinusz@xs4all.nl>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/04/1995 19:07:57
> I installed netbsd on my IIsi and everything went beyond expectation, I
> have to say. I still have a few questions though. They are the result of
> my inexperience, I know, but I got overexcited and wanted more than just
> being able to do ls -al, on a MACINTOSH (!)

Yep, it's cool!

> here's my setup :
> IIsi, 40 mB at scsi 0, 520 MB at scsi 2 of which 240 is A/UX, and 15 is
> swap; 5 MB memory; Apple two-page monochrome (256 shades of g.) monitor
> with it's own video card. ( no serial console I think, I don't even know
> what that is anyway [ a terminal plugged in my modem/printer port ?])

You're right about the serial console. Many of the newer machines have
adb difficulties because Apple chooses not to document the hardware.

[snip]
> Problems:
> -	can't go to a another virtual terminal (flower-2,3,4,5 ? does not work)
> -	dt does not work, just before exiting the startup, a message
> flashes in the left-down-corner of the screen, something about lines I think
> -	X, does not know how to handle the monitor. It starts and I see a
> garbled image, there seem to about 6 small windows which are the same,
> I'v seen this before on a PC, and it looks like it has something to do
> with monitor settings, I can move the mouse around, which makes me feel
> good, the mouse moves in all the 6 windows ( or all 5 or all whatever)

Yep, it's monitors settings. As I understand it, both X and dt expect the
monitor to be in 1-bit mode to work. I now have an alias of the monitors
controll pannel on my desktop so I can easily switch to/from 1-bit mode.

Take care,

Bill