Port-m68k archive

Re: virt68k/68030 problem

mlelstv@ wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 20, 2024 at 08:02:44PM -0800, Jeremy Cooper wrote:
> >
> > For years I used the `.long` syntax in the 3/80 locore.s because I felt it was the only portable way to represent this very rare instruction. I always wanted the 3/80 port to be easily cross-compilable, so I avoided any non-standard asm instructions.
>
> To me, gas syntax is non-standard anyway.
>
> Having undocumented and target-specific pseudo ops (the syntax is
> different for other targets) doesn't make a big difference.

In initial sun3x days, i.e. around NetBSD 1.2 in 1996,
NetBSD didn't have cross-build environment.

NetBSD 1.2 used customized gas (around 1.92.3?) for a.out
shared lib binaries, but kernel development people had to
prepare own cross build envronments from sources of
gcc (2.7.2.1?) and binutils (2.7?).

In these days, we have the same gas sources for both native
and cross build, so we can safely use gas-specific syntax.

Thanks,
---
Izumi Tsutsui