Subject: Re: Are the 68k ports binary compatible?
To: Carsten Hammer <chammer@phyd2hammer.uni-bielefeld.de>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-m68k
Date: 09/21/1995 08:49:38
On Thu, 21 Sep 1995 15:57:59 +0000 (GMT)
 Carsten Hammer <chammer@phyd2hammer.uni-bielefeld.de> wrote:

 > Can i use netbsd-mac binaries on my netbsd-amiga?
 > What is with atari,hp300,sun3?

Yah, they are.  there are acouple of things in /bin and /sbin that aren't
quiet 100% (for various reasons; disklabel(8) and anything that uses
libkvm), but I use, for example, binaries compiled on my Amiga on my Sun
3.  (X was a biggie; and it would have taken _forever_ to compile on the
Sun 3 :-).

Alas, the hp300 is not binary compatible with the other m68k ports for,
as near as I can tell, an historical reason.  I'd personally like to see
_one_ binary distribution for all m68k ports (except for port-specific
things like eeprom, screenblank, iteconfig, etc. which just flat-out
won't compile on other than their intended platforms because of
machine-dependent header file differences).  Doing this is going to
require, among other things, a few changes to libkvm (the sun3 goo will
have to be merged into the other m68k stuff, and it will have to be able
to determine which routines to use), and making 8k pagesize executables
the native format for NetBSD/hp300.

It seems we've had this dicussion here N times before :-)