Subject: Re: Novatel Wireless 3G card support ?
To: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
From: Joel CARNAT <joel@carnat.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/08/2007 03:41:42
>> Grepping another time for "ugen", I found:
>> ugen0: Novatel Wireless Novatel Wireless HSDPA Modem, rev 1.10/0.00,
>> addr 3
>>
>> Not sure if I missed it last time I greped or if I had the "dell
>> wireless
>> switch" switched off... Anyway, gonna read some doc on how to "just run
>> ppp" :)
>
> It's not yet clear what's going on, but that's encouraging.  That

Neither to me... :)
Even in Windows, the card does not "mount" each time...
I'm not sure wether it is grub's fault or my Windows installation, but I
have to start from a "fresh boot" (turn the laptop off, then on) to see
the card in dmesg and/or in windows's hardware list.

> device may work with ugensa(4) or with another usb/serial device.
>
> First, you probably want to try current.  I just committed untested
> support from FreeBSD for a Novatel Wireless Merlin CDMA modem, and
> this may be similar.  Last summer I committed support for a Novatel
> GPS receiver which also uses ugensa.
>
> Run 'usbdevs -v', and find the manufacturer and product codes.
>
> See src/sys/dev/usbdevs, and edit them the new values in.
> Regenerate by 'make -f Makefile.usbdevs'.
>
> In ugensa.c, add a line to ugensa_devs to match your device.  Rebuild
> the kernel and try it.  If it boots and attaches, try to talk to the
> device (kermit or cu), and send AT<cr> and see if you get OK.

ah... so it should attach to something else than ugen0 to be useable.
that would explain why pppd kept saying me it didn't know what to do with
"/dev/ugen0"...

I don't have the sources locally and won't get them via 3G under Windows...
I'll have to wait to go back home to continue then...

> If so, search the net for how to talk to your 3G *service* (not card,
> you'll then be on the next step of making a connection given that you
> could run ppp if only you knew how).  Typically there's some
> ATDTfoobar string to initiate a call, and sometimes a local username
> to use with pppd auth, and you set up ppp/chat.

yeah, I read that in NetBSD's cookbook and found an openbsd gprs howto.
looks like I have to configure the PIN first, then the APN - altough I'm
still not certain which goes in which conf file.

> I've used EVDO with verizon and sprint, but not HSDPA, and I'm not
> even sure if that's just sprint's name for EVDO.

Well, my provider is Orange (France).
I know nothing about telephony protocol but according to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HSDPA, EVDO is not exactly the same thing.

But I still wouldn't know what to do wit such an information anyway :)