Subject: Re: NetBSD-RELEASE-2.1 bugs
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: David <david.vyskocil@free.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/21/2005 11:04:46
There's a misunderstanding...

> >1/ I booted it with the LAPTOP kernel install and all the distribution
were
> >on a NTFS partition. When the installer tryed to extract the packages I
got
> >many archive corruptions, I tryed by hand, idem. Then I transfered the
> >*same* files to a MSDOS partition and no problem occurs.
>
> NTFS does not work for write.

The distribution archives were in a mounted read only NTFS partition and
extracted to the NetBSD root partition on the same disk, I think in a
correctly fdisked & disklabeled IDE drive.
Because of corruptions in extraction, to test as I know there's many
problems with NTFS, I transfered the distribution from the NTFS partition to
another disk's MSDOS partition and extracted from there to the root disk
with no problem.

> >2/ Under /dev I did a ./MAKEDEV all and I got many errors :
> >
> >/dev: create/symlink failed, no inodes free
> >/netbsd: uid 0, pid 1234, command mknod, on /dev:out of inodes
> >mknod: device: No space left on device
> >
> >I see /dev is mounted on mfs (mfs:15 on /dev type mfs(synchonous, local))
> >and I don't know where I can allocate more room for it.
> >
> >3/ When NetBSD boot it complain about "warning no /dev/console" but the
> >/dev/console is still there and functional...
>
> Yes, because after the kernel finds that there is no /dev/console it
mounts
> an mfs and creates devices there. Since your root filesystem is msdos,
there
> is no easy way in msdos to represent devices, so you cannot have a
persistent
> /dev as long as you insist on using msdosfs.

Not on msdosfs, ffsv2.

I solved this problem by booting the sysinst's installations disks, mounting
and chrooting / the root disk then running ./MAKEDEV all.

Yes, it was du to no /dev/console then NetBSD mount and create a minimal
/dev on mfs... (890 max entry)

> To fix your device problem, I suggest that you partition some space using
ffs,
> or if you don't like that, use vnconfig on a file on msdos to create a
device,
> then format that device using ffs, and then use that for your /dev. It
would
> be nice if vnconfig was in /sbin so all that could be automated.

One day I will try maybe... surely not to install NetBSD in a MSDOS
partition.
I've done it with Linux and two loop devices with DES encryption, but I
promise nether do again... ;)

> >5/ I compiled a custom kernel with ACPI, it boot ok but the keyboard
pckbc0,
> >detetected by ACPI is not working, but the system run. (by now I use ACPI
> >just for power/sleep button)
>
> I don't know what the problem is with that...

I will try to dig a little more to see why, but I think ACPI support is
still in beta release by now...

Thanks for your reply and please excuse my bad English,
David