Subject: Re: ThinkPad T42/R52
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/15/2005 09:43:42
we have suffered 75% or worse failure rate in the R- series here. T's
were rock solid. nicer build quality I'd say.

I am an X30, very happy, if somewhat clunky.

lots of commonalities in the chipset over the T/X series, less in the R
I think, it spans quite a few different revs.

I got advised to spec the M series CPU with the biggest L2 cache I
could get, and it seems to have worked for me.

a/b/g in IBM's can be very tempramental in dense WiFi locations. Many
of my peers complain the built-in craps out before an external card
does. (However IETF64, Vancouver I was just fine, on 802.11a when the
rest of the world was dying in fits: go figure)

Expect some X11 issues with sleep mode: Steve Bellovins observations on
that go back a long way, and I think are essentially un-reresolved. you
have to run apmd, not acpi to get power mgt, and sleep-mode to work
right now.

I've never enabled the security chip, I wouldn't know if it works.

Does lenovo intend carrying on the spec as-is? or have they been made
to drop the black-ibm look? It is a wonderful memory trip to a 2001
view of what hi-tech means: squared off, robost, plain.

-G