Subject: Re: USB mouse
To: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@city-net.com>
From: Stephen Nelson <st3phen@paradise.net.nz>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/23/2004 05:21:18
Matthew Orgass wrote:

>  Since I have seen what might be the same problem, I ran a few tests.
>The only way I could reproduce the problem is to hit the reset button on
>the system while running an OS that supports ehci (I tried NetBSD and
>Windows ME) before booting NetBSD without ehci.  Due to the wonders of
>ATX, this happens even if you power off the system between this reset and
>when you boot the ehci-free system unless you pull the plug or otherwise
>physically remove power.  If you restart normally from the system that
>supports ehci, it works fine.  Normally Ctrl-Alt-Del from windows works
>ok, but it is possible that some types of crashes could cause similar
>problems.  Presumably some chip register is not getting reset, causing the
>attach to not be in compatability mode at boot time.  This would seem to
>be either a chip or bios bug.  I suspect nothing can reasonably be done
>about it other than documenting it.
>
>  Do you happen to have another OS installed that supports ehci and have
>hit the reset switch or crashed recently?  In any case, could you try
>booting the GENERIC kernel after cleanly rebooting from the ehci kernel?
>
>Matthew Orgass
>darkstar@city-net.com

You were correct!
I have a WinME install that I use for games (very seldom), and crashed
last time I used it, which was, coincidentally about the time I updated
netbsd.
I tried a clean restart using GENERIC, and no problems - in fact my
mouse was active from the time my computer started (red light on)
However, I will continue to use the ehci kernel in the future to prevent
WinME messing with my mouse!

Thanks,

Stephen