Subject: Elan SC520 problems
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/07/2004 15:41:48
Hi -
For use as a timeserver I bought an embedded (PC104) board
with an Elan SC520 chip on it.
This is the same as on the Soekris board which appeared to have
a good reputation here.
(The reason I didn't buy the Soekris board is that it doesn't
have a parallel port which I want for the (TTL) PPS signal.)

However, it doesn't work well at all. There are two problems
which render this thing almost useless:
-The timekeeping is poor. I've found the CLOCK_FREQ correction,
 but even with this the clock drifts much more than ntpd tolerates.
 It seems to help if a process just eats cycles, so I suspect
 that the clock is slowed down (probably from 133 to 100 MHz)
 if the CPU gets idle.
-The serial console output is garbled.

Soekris users - do you see the same problems?
Any hints?

best regards
Matthias