Subject: Re: Endless trouble with ISA NICs
To: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
From: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/04/2004 10:55:04
On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 12:56:12PM +0100, Jaromir Dolecek wrote:
> der Mouse wrote:
> > Actually, I've seen network cards sort-of-work even with their IRQ
> > values wrong; typically, received packets won't be noticed until it
> > transmits another packet - but if the network is busy, this can look
> > like "working" for a while.
> >
> > But if you've fixed the IRQ, then I'm out of ideas.
>
> Another suggestion might be to try to use isapnp mode of the
> cards, i.e. have only
>
> isapnp0		at isa?
> ne*	at isapnp?
>
> in kernel config and comment out the 'neX at isa? ...' stuff.
>
> I recently experienced couple of ep (3Com EtherLink III) ISA
> cards which only worked when configured via isapnp, so maybe
> it would help you too. Same for the sound card, it should
> be configured via isapnp too.

Speaking of Etherlink III's... I've got one in an i386 configured thusly:
ep0             at isa0 port 0x300 irq 10

It works just fine, but one curious bit of behavior it exhibits is that when
it has a carrier (it's running at 10baseT half-duplex, according to ifconfig
and the lights on my switch) the LED on the card itself doesn't stay on, as
some nics do, or blink for traffic, as some nics do - it blinks on and off
roughly once a second, never changing its blink speed. Yet sometimes when
the machine is booted, it stays solid and blinks for activity - only until
ifconfig (called from dhclient) sets it up, however. Is this something anyone
else has seen with 3com el-3's?

-Sean

--
/~\ The ASCII