Subject: Re: boot-tiny.fs w/ serial console
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: randy <randy@24on.cc>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/21/2003 16:48:35
hi again,

* Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org> [2003-06-21 16:36]:
> I don't know if it'll work for floppies, but you can try the
> following trick: Load the boot loader from boot-com1.fs, and when
> the NetBSD boot code counts down, interrupt it. Then swap the floppy
> with boot-tiny.fs, and type boot netbsd.gz

i tried that - it does boot, but as soon as the installer starts up
input/output gets redirected to keyboard/vga. i need to have the
installer running over serial aswell since my pc doesn't accept any
input from the keyboard...

> Which console to use it set by the boot code (you can even change it
> at the boot prompt, with the consdev command.

basically booting from floppy with input/output over the serial
console works, but for some reason the installer or something before
the installer gets launched changes these settings on the fly.

> The only problem I can see here would be the ustarfs format used for
> floppies: maybe the boot block from one floppy can't load the kernel
> from a different floppy.

that's not the problem, that works fine...

thank you very much for replying so fast!

so long,
randy