Subject: Re: 1.6 Console Probs with X
To: Christian Hattemer <chris@heaven.riednet.wh.tu-darmstadt.de>
From: Jonathan Perkin <sketch@rd.bbc.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/19/2002 09:27:56
On Thu Sep 19, 2002 at 01:59:23AM +0200, Christian Hattemer wrote:

> Hello Jonathan,
>
> On 17-Sep-02, you wrote:
>
> > Now to find out why my fresh netbsd-1-6-release install corrupts
> > the console after running X... :-)
>
> Hm, I've installed 1.6 now, and the problem happens here too.
> Dunno why, at least you are not alone... :-)
>
> This is also a fresh installation (wanted to do the newfs anyway
> to enable the rest of the new FFS optimizations).  1.5.3 with an
> XF 4.x (4.1.0? Don't remeber exactly) has worked fine on this same
> machine. Graphics card is an ATI Radeon 7200.
>
> Any ideas? Logfiles are available on request.

None at the moment.  For reference, I have an ATI Rage 128 Pro TF.

The problem is reproducible with xdm - just put a non-existant
window manager in .xsession, try to login, then when it dies try to
C-A-F1 back to a console and it will fail.  However, if you have a
correct .xsession and you log in first time with no problems (or
use startx), you can switch back at any time.  It seems that when
restarting X due to a problem, it breaks.

Maybe to do with the agp0 driver?  Maybe to do with the recent X
4.2.1 upgrade?  I don't have any point of reference (I can't compare
with my previous XFree86.0.log as I don't have it anymore).

--
Jonathan Perkin - BBC Internet Services - http://support.bbc.co.uk/
    Please check email headers for any relevant contact details