Subject: Re: Hard Drive in 520 byte/sector.
To: Thomas Mueller <tmueller@bluegrass.net>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal@attbi.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/31/2002 20:46:48
In message <200203301019.g2UAJDs0078498@w3.bluegrass.net>, you write:

-> 520 bytes per sector looks weird, I didn't know such a disk existed,
-> would have thought sector size would be a power of 2.  Are you sure
-> you read the datasheet correctly?

I don't know about this particular instance, but I picked up a bunch of
Tandem-OEM'ed IBM drives that were all formatted to 520bytes/sec.  Dunno
what the advantage of that configuration was, but I merely re-set the
config to something more resembling a workable config (512b/sec) and
everything worked OK.

I know that when I read the datasheets for those drives, IBM claimed
to support a range of sector sizes around 512b/sec (both smaller and
larger) IIRC.

--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                                     rafal@attbi.com
  We are all worms.  But I do believe I am a glowworm.  -- Winston Churchill