Subject: RE: Re: backspace problem when using vi
To: Jonathan <quadreverb@yahoo.com (Andy R), encrypt84@prtc.net>
From: None <TonyIsYourPal@netscape.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/21/2002 06:39:42
Hi there,

> A little history on vi ... <snip>

I remember getting dire warnings about using some keys with vi many moons ago. Problem was that we had serial terminals connected via a PAD to a 3B15 running SVR2. Some key combinations (notably cursor keys) generated more than one character, which could be split by the PAD into separate messages then misconstrued by vi at the far end, which could lead to disaster. Always had the habit of using single keys where possible. Oh, and stty is your friend !

The other box we had at this time ('87) was a PDP-11/70 with 7th Edition. The screen editor of choice for that was ded (display ed). ded is to ed as vi is to ex, kindof... anybody else ever use it ? know where the source for it is ?

- Tony