Subject: Re: pmap panics on 1.4.3
To: <>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/13/2002 23:56:25
On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 04:27:57PM -0700, Rick Kelly wrote:

> I remember the ICL DRS* boxes. One I worked on had 2 20Mhz SPARC
> chips and SVR4.

That would have been a VMEbus based system - the MBus/SBus ones
were somewhat faster.  I've a 32Mbyte memory board from one of
those - a 9u VMEbus card.

Those systems had a 9u 68020 based board just to perform
system control functions, to act as a console and provide
a slave path into system memory for VMEbus masters.

> My favorite was the ICL 25 with a 68020 and dual
> consoles running SVR2 (or maybe earlier) running on top of some
> wierd ICL monitor/kernel. You would boot the underlying ICL stuff
> on one console and then UNIX on the other.

I only really ever wrote X.25 for the System 25 - another
case of the tail wagging the donkey!  I suspect the 8MHz
286 running with zero wait state memory was faster than
the System 25....  Might even have been able to emulate it
faster than the host:-)

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk