Subject: Re: page fault on boot
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: kent <kent@goatnospamhill.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/04/2002 19:27:57
On 4 Mar 2002 06:20:01 -0600, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:
>> 1) I swapped out ram and it didn't make any difference. On boot,
>> it pagefaults at the same location.
>>=20
>> 2) problems compiling a kernel wouldn't necesarily provide much
>> evidence here about what exactly was wrong. It certainly might
>> exercise the system, but it exercises almost everything at almost
>> the same time, without providing much of any cluse as to what caused
>> the failure. When the system simply freezes, there's not much to
>> go on...
>>=20
>> I suspect there is either a mb problem or a cpu problem, but I have
>> no spare cpus or mb's right now to test with.
>
> You can always try to provide proper cooling. Oh, and stop overclocking
> your machine, in case you do. With G@m3r kidz, this is the first advice
> I give (for PC hardware), but in this mailing list, I've forgotten to
> mention it.

It had proper cooling, wasn't overclocked, ran flawlessly for over
two years.

However, I did manage to borrow another computer to check it with.
It appears the mmu has gone bad on the cpu. It appears to work
great until/unless it needs the mmu. I tried another cpu in this
mb and all ran fine; put this cpu in another mb and it always
pagefaulted at the same locations in the boot sequence.