Subject: Re: Mount logical drive inside extended partition
To: Georges Heinesch <geohei-ml@geohei.lu>
From: Rick Byers <rb-netbsd@BigScaryChildren.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/28/2001 11:01:53
Do you have a NetBSD partition on that drive?  If so, matching the
disklabel to the partition information (with mbrlabel or manually) should
do the trick.

In the past I've run into problems for disks which don't have NetBSD
partitions.  Since there is no NetBSD partition, there is no place for a
disklabel.  The kernel will generate a fake disklabel, but (last time I
checked - which was probably a long time ago) it won't include extended
partitions.  I have worked around this problem by converting any extended
partitions to primary partitions by using fdisk to add the appropriate
entries to the main MBR partition table.  The DOS kernel (not sure about
NT,2K,etc.) doesn't seem to mind.  Of course, you can only do this if you
have a total of <= 4 partitions - which can be tricky if you've Linux on
the same drive...  Ideally the fake-label generating code should examine
extended partitions also.  Its been so long since I've had an extended
partition, maybe it does now - I don't know...

Rick