Subject: Re: Installing NetBSD in a Logical DOS partition.
To: Aurelio Turco <azt@bom.gov.au>
From: Paolo Torelli <in000469@students.univr.it>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/11/2001 11:43:48
On Thu, 11 Oct 2001, Aurelio Turco wrote:

> I would like to install NetBSD in this last Logical partition.
>
> Is this possible?
I think it is. Not with the automated install, though ;)
I have never tried this one, but I think something like the following
might work:

. Take all informations about the wanted partition: beginning sector and
size (sectors) referred to the beginning of the disk (else data may be
overwritten). You might want to backup all of the disk, or at least the
first track (63 sectors) of the disk (bootselector + some other vital
data)
. Create a new label, in which partition 'c' matches the disk partition
you want to install to; create partitions 'a', 'b' (plus others?) so that
they fit into partition 'c'. Add partitions as wanted (to access other
partitions' data)
. Perform the install as usual. Have fun with newfs and pax. I don't know
if installboot should be used too, but that's not the point.
. Once completed, reboot. NetBSD can now be started using the install disk
by boot-selecting (press space during the first 5 seconds) 'boot wd0:'

> Also: If the answer is yes,
> which boot-selectors will work with this set-up?
In your special case (w2k and linux) I don't know any other than
bootdiskette. Maybe installboot can work (it should use NetBSD's
disklabel), maybe not. If you had a DOS partition you could use the DOS
loader.

If you succeed, please let us know.

Have fun!
	Paolo Torelli