Subject: Re: nfs - export file
To: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
From: Joe Abley <jabley@automagic.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/25/2001 01:34:33
On Tue, Sep 25, 2001 at 02:34:51PM +1000, Simon Burge wrote:
> Andrew Brown wrote:
>
> > i'm guessing that those three are all part of the same physical file
> > system.  each file system can only "exported" once.
>
> This is described, although not all that well, in the BUGS section of
> export(5):
>
> BUGS
>      The export options are tied to the local mount points in the kernel and
>      must be non-contradictory for any exported subdirectory of the local
>      server mount point.  [ ... ]

I like those words; they're concise. Some examples might be useful,
though:

  The export options are tied to the local mount points in the kernel and
  must be non-contradictory for any exported subdirectory of the local
  server mount point. For example, a directory path which is mounted
  read-only cannot be exported read-write; in addition, a single locally-
  mounted filesystem cannot be exported more than once without judicious
  use of the "-alldirs" export option.

  It is recommended that all exported directories within the same server
  filesystem be specified on adjacent lines going down the tree. [...]

> Anyone come up with some better words?

I may have misunderstood the first sentence, of course, which would
presumably be further fuel to the argument for clear examples.

There is another obvious bug missing from the list:

  Most NFS clients and server implementations suck.

Call me jaded :)

Joe