Subject: Re: Still struggling with networking
To: Andy Ball <ball@cyberspace.org>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/30/2001 11:40:53
On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 04:14:33PM -0400, Andy Ball wrote:

> Hello Andrew!
>
> I meant 'dhclient -p ne0' (as in 'port'), but -q seems to
> work too.

Hmm, I was confused by you not listing the port.

> I've done that, thanks.  I have no idea what to do with
> /etc/dhclient-script though, it doesn't look anything like
> the one in the NetBSD DHCP HOWTO.

The default should be ok.

> Probably a valid observation.  This machine has been cobbled
> together with bits we had laying around (which is why it
> lacks certain things, like a diskette drive).  Out of
> interest, what would be a good choice of ISA 10Base-T card

For ISA I would say look for an SMC Elite Ultra or 3Com 3c509.

> for use with NetBSD/i386?  If I'm able to achieve 'proof of
> concept' with this machine, what would be a good choice of
> PCI 10Base-T card for its successor?

For 10Base-T only I would say get a DEC 21041 based card, or a 3Com
3c900 or similar.  I bought some Cogent cards with 10Base2/5/T for
$5 on the net.  If you don't really want anything but 10Base-T I would
say go ahead and get a 10/100 card.  A cheap RealTek 8139 based card
will work, but they are not ideal.  (cheap though)  You should really
just get an Intel 82558/9 based card for any PCI ethernet requirements.
Of course this is just my opinion. :)

I have:
   SMC Etherpower II ("epic" driver) -- Great board, not easy/cheap to get.
   Compaq labeled 82558 ("fxp" driver) -- Great board, $22/each at the time.
   Various DEC 21xxx or clones ("de" or "tlp" driver) -- Some are great.
   RealTek 8139 ("rtk" driver) -- Performs just ok, cheap. (like $10)
   National NS83820 ("gsip" driver) -- 10/100/1000 copper.  Fast! $75/each

I would tend to say the 'fxp' boards are your best bet.  At least from my
experience they have proven to be very fast and stable.  Jason Thorpe seems
to be always squeezing a few extra megabits out of them (and others) as well.

These guys: http://www.alancomputech.com/ have the 82559 cards for about $24,
and the RealTek 8139 cards for about $10.

-Andrew