Subject: Root filesystem on LFS question
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Steven G. Hascall <steve@ezl.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/24/2001 22:50:56
Hi,

    In a previous thread I think someone expressed frustration at not
being able to hang an LFS filesystem off root. The technical hurdle was
described to be the way LFS rearranges bootblocks not jiving with where
i386 systems expected to find them. This seems to be a problem with
HP-UX systems as well - but they are still able mount VxFS filesystems
off root because the kernel and boot stuff live in /stand (which always
needs to live on a UFS filesystem.) My question(s): why doesn't NetBSD
use /stand for kernel and boot related files? It's there, but it's
empty. Can this be done and I just don't know about it? Is it possible
to use /stand on a normal filesystem and then mount a LFS on root?
Anyway, it sounded like a cool idea to me. What do you all think?

-Steve
steve@ezl.com