Subject: Re: Stupid Chip Q
To: None <wojtek@wojtek.from.pl>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/17/2001 10:35:24
From: <wojtek@wojtek.from.pl>:

> > My Duron 600 @ 950 runs great. :-)  While I am willing to smoke
>
> how faster netbsd works on this?
> visual difference?
> 1% half% ?

Well, a "make world" isquite a bit faster at 950 than at 600.  I don't
have the exact timings available, but I can get them if you want to
know.
Regarding "feeling faster", I would say that my machine @950 with 256MB
and a TNT2 ultra "feels" a heck of a lot faster than my old pentium pro 200.
Sure, having 4X the RAM helps as well.

> i had problems in normal work to see a difference between pentium 200 and
> celeron 500.

Sure, it depends on what you are doing.  If you are totally I/O bound,
either
disk, network, or video, the extra crunch is not going to be obvious.  Run
some timings on cpu intensive stuff, and you'll notice a difference. :-)

> overclocking is a nonsense.

Yup, right up there with watching TV, playing video games, hacking on
NetBSD, riding a motorcycle, etc.

-Andrew