Subject: Re: This List Abused
To: Thomas Mueller <tmueller@bluegrass.net>
From: David Maxwell <david@vex.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/09/2001 20:42:17
On Fri, Mar 09, 2001 at 06:47:37PM -0500, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> gabriel rosenkoetter encoded:
>
> >That is and has been a function of how the NetBSD lists work.
> >
> >It means one does not need to be subscribed to a list to post to it,
> >which is arguably a good thing (say, replying to crosspostings
> >involving some tech-* list you're not subscribed to).
>
> Allowing nonsubscribers to post to a list leaves the list open to totally
> off-topic spam, and I have seen a few such spams on the NetBSD lists.  I also
> saw one message with the Snowhite/Hybris virus on a NetBSD list.  Warp list
> (related to IBM OS/2 Warp) formerly allowed postings by nonsubscribers, but one
> Snowhite message with viral attachment ended that open-posting policy.

Allowing subscribers to post to a list leaves the list open to totally
off-topic posts. Such as this one.

Please read the archives - NetBSD people have chosen in the past to take
a friendly stance to strangers, and put fewer barriers in their way.

Feel free to employ anti-spam techniques of your choosing.

All this stuff in twice the space would only look half as bad!
					      - me