Subject: Re: haning after pciicd0
To: None <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Hanspeter Roth <hanspeter_roth@hotmail.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/07/2001 22:09:45
>From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
>Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 21:17:54 +0100
>
>On Sun, Mar 04, 2001 at 08:49:29PM -0000, Hanspeter Roth wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm trying to configure Netbsd 1.5 on a Mitac 6120 with a
> > TOSHIBA MK1016GAP harddisk.
> > If I just try to boot the last line looks like this:
> >
> > pciide0: primary channel wired to compatibility mode
> >
> > Then the kernel seems to be frozen.
>
>How much time did you wait ? A IDE reset can take up to 30s.

I waited more than 50".
With the maneuver described below it takes ca. 5-10s
At the secondary channel it takes ~50" to configure the CD rom.

> > If I first go into the Bios-setup and remove and insert the Pcmcia
> > nic and open and close the CD the kernel proceeds with
> >
> > wd0 at pciide0 channel 0 drive 0: <TOSHIBA MK1016GAP>
> >
> > What's happening?
> > Can it be solved by some clever configuration?
> > Can I trace what the kernel is doing or waiting for?
>
>The easiest way would be to add a few printf (or turn on debug printf in
>the
>code) and recompile a kernel.

Ok. I have to get familiar with the respective code.
Can I printf to stdout in the kernel?

>Are you booting from floppy or from the HD ?

I tried only from HD. Ok. I could try to create a bootfloppy.
Il try on tomorrow.
I'll be back when I have new results.

-Hanspeter