Subject: Re: XFREE 3.3.6 and i810 Chips (fwd)
To: R. C. Dowdeswell <elric@imrryr.org>
From: Mark Davies <mark@MCS.VUW.AC.NZ>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/01/2000 09:11:16
	From:  "R. C. Dowdeswell" <elric@mabelode.imrryr.org>
	Date:  Mon, 31 Jan 2000 11:27:34 -0800

> Yeah, in XF86 24 bit colour is actually that -- 24 bits.  Traditionally
> X servers when a card was 24 bit presented the application with 32
> bit color.  Presenting the application with 24 bit colour will
> break a lot of them, Netscape, Xanim are the ones that I remember
> before I just punted and switched to 16 bit which most apps
> understand.

Yes I remembered, after posting that last message, that the Netscape icons
issue was likely to be a more generic problem as we had the same problem
with the millennium's in 24 bit mode (solved in that case by going to 32) but
the i810 driver doesn't support 32 and we have several applications that don't
like 16bit mode so we probably won't be buying these boxes this time round.

cheers
mark