Subject: Re: XFREE 3.3.6 and i810 Chips (fwd)
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Roger Brooks <R.S.Brooks@liverpool.ac.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/31/2000 16:37:58
I intended to copy this to the list.  I discovered the same problem after
getting a 19" high resolution monitor for my home machine last year.  As
my Matrox Millenium II has only 4MB, I had to switch from 32 bpp to 24 bpp
(before that, all I had was an ancient bog-standard 640 x 480 VGA monitor :-().
After a few hours of admiring my nice new monitor I noticed that the Netcape
toolbar had gone monochrome (well, sort of - in my case it was black, white
and RED!).  I don't think the Netscape website said anything about it being
Millenium II-specific.

Having been unable to find a 4MB memory upgrade at a reasonable price,
and not wanting to reduce the resolution below 1280 x 1024, my X server
is now configured for 16 bpp (at least until the double-headed G400 gets
a bit cheaper).

Roger

Roger Brooks (Systems Programmer),          |  Email: R.S.Brooks@liv.ac.uk
Computing Services Dept,                    |  Tel:   +44 151 794 4441
The University of Liverpool,                |  Fax:   +44 151 794 4442
PO Box 147, Liverpool L69 3BX, UK           |