Subject: Re: XFREE 3.3.6 and i810 Chips
To: Johan Danielsson <joda@pdc.kth.se>
From: Matthieu Herrb <matthieu@laas.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/28/2000 14:45:19
You wrote (in your message from  28)
 > Duncan McEwan <duncan@MCS.VUW.AC.NZ> writes:
 >
 > > We're also interested in the answer to this question.  I haven't
 > > seen any followups to Sam's question on port-i386.  Maybe someone
 > > replied personally?
 >
 > I think the 810 support in xfree is very linux specific at this time.

It's linux-specific in the sense that it needs a kernel module to
program some of the i810 chipset features (AGP GART, I don't know
exactly what it is). This module is only available for Linux so
far. The source of this kernel module is in the XFree86 tree under a
X11 copyright, so there is no licensing problem to add it to NetBSD.

I will probably add it to the XFree86 aperture driver for NetBSD in
the future, but I'd prefer to have some hardware to test it.

There's another driver in the XFree86 tree that is only supported on
linux for now: the S3 savage. This one needs the ability to call some
BIOS functions in real mode from a user program, which is not easily
done through the NetBSD i386_vm86() interface.

--
					Matthieu