Subject: Re: Parallel port problem
To: Anne Bennett <anne@alcor.concordia.ca>
From: Thilo Manske <Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/17/2000 18:58:33
On Mon, Jan 17, 2000 at 12:43:24PM -0500, Anne Bennett wrote:
> > Recently I have substituted it with an HP
> > Deskjet 690C; nothing else has changed on the system.
>
> Recently I have substituted it with an HP Deskjet 695C.  I upgraded to
> the latest ghostscript and changed the "device name" in my call to
> ghostscript in my former BJ200 filter.
>
> > My PC has a Tyan motherboard with a Cyrix P166+.
>
> Who knows what my silly hardware is -- I can never remember such
> things!  :-)  An oldish Pentium, anyway.
I doubt a brand new Ultra Sparc would do any better :-).

> > Now printing is very slow both with and without Ghostscript: a single page
> > can take two hours.
>
> Printing became very slow both with and without ghostscript: a
> PostScript page could take six hours to print, a few rows of pixels at
> a time, while text pages would print normally once started, but took
> many minutes to start printing.
There's a bug in the DJ 690C interface (it's not following the Centronics
specifications exactly), try using the interrupt-driven printer device, i.e.
/dev/lpa? instead of /dev/lpt?, this may speed up things.

At least it has helped me with my fu... - err - wonderfull HP Deskjet 690C.

--
Dies ist Thilos Unix Signature! Viel Spass damit.