Subject: Re: install problems
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Guy Santiglia <robin5153@yahoo.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/16/2000 09:29:59
I got a diagnostic program for the ne2000 and found that it is at
0x300. the message below doesn't seem to tell me what the IRQ is
but the card works on the windows machine with irq set to 3 in
the device manager, so that must be it.  This diagnostic program is
supposed to be able to program the
EEPROM also.  But I haven't had any luck with that.
   Is it possible that this card is not software programmable?

There is an empty socket on the card.  I was thinking that maybe that
is where the EEPROM would have went.

[root@bambam work]# ne2k-diag
Checking the ethercard at 0x300.
  Receive alignment error counter (0x30d) is ff
  Passed initial NE2000 probe, value 00.
Station Address PROM    0: 00 00 80 80 29 29 ea ea 8c 8c 94 94 00 00 00 00
Station Address PROM 0x10: 00 00 01 01 0d 0d 01 01 c2 c2 02 02 57 57 57 57
  NE2000 found at 0x300, using start page 0x40 and end page 0x80.
The current MAC stations address is 40:18:02:00:00:08.

Just to make sure I understand.  The install kernel is expecting
the ne2000 card to be configured like one of these:

    Novell NE1000, or NE2000 Ethernet boards
              ne0  0x280     9
              ne1  0x300     10

In my case, the NE2000 is 0x300  IRQ 3.  Using the kernel debugger I can tell
the kernel to expect IRQ 3 as an interupt from my ne2000 NIC and then the
install via NFS or FTP will work OK using this NE2000 card.

  Is that right?

	Guy