Subject: Re: wd0d
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: None <seebs@plethora.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/12/1999 20:58:52
In message <199910130138.DAA05534@sean.ebone.net>, Sean Doran writes:
>| Yes, I think I can see that now. I've obviously never tried to share a
>| disk between NetBSD and another OS :-) Sorry.
>| It works fine in FreeBSD, even if ugly.

>Huh?  This is *trivial* in NetBSD: you just arrange partitions
>around the space occupied by the other OS.   You don't even
>need to set up an "unused" partition. -:)

No, I want to share it, as in, I want a given piece of disk to be used by
both OS's.  That's the whole point of NTFS, MSDOSFS, and all the other FS
options... But we don't have enough room in a partition table.

	/dev/wd0a	/		ffs
	/dev/wd0b	swap		swap
	/dev/wd0c	unusable
	/dev/wd0d	unusable
	/dev/wd0e	/usr		ffs
	/dev/wd0f	/var		ffs
	/dev/wd0g	/usr/src	ffs
	/dev/wd0h	/home		ffs
	/dev/wd0i	/dos-c		msdos
	/dev/wd0j	/linux		ext2
	/dev/wd0k	/freebsd	ffs
	/dev/wd0l	/linux/usr	ext2
	/dev/wd0m	/freebsd/usr	ffs
	/dev/wd0n	/dos-d		msdos

>The hard part about sharing a disk with another OS is
>telling the other OS not to scribble over NetBSD-occupied
>space, and about telling the BIOS how to boot one versus
>the other OS.

Oh, that was easy; just install something for Windows that does this,
and outsmart it when it tries to destroy everything you've ever loved
or cared about.  ;-)

-s