Subject: Re: Heavy /dev/lpt use burdens system.
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/12/1999 16:38:02
Perry E. Metzger writes:

> Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com> writes:
> > IEEE1284 printers & cables?  Currently I have a NEC SuperScript 870
> > connected to my SOYO SY6BA+, and it works great under Windows 98, but
> > the lpt driver is flaky under NetBSD.
>
> I have the same printer and no problem whatsoever. What version of
> NetBSD are you running, and what is the nature of the problem?

-current, as of a month or so ago.  The problems I was seeing are
that the printer is appearing to miss data or something.  The result
is the printer will spew pages out with only one or two > 127 type
characters on it.  This happens everytime with /dev/lpt, and is
possibly reduced with /dev/lpa.  Using the 'do not initialize the device'
minor number appears to work fairly reliably, with only an occasional
problem.  I haven't heavily tested it recently though.  Using the
'192' minor number (interruptless/no reset) may be fine for me with
a different cable.  I am using a Belkin (I think) IEEE1284 cable at
the moment.

I am generating LJ2P(I believe) data with Ghostscript.  The resulting file is
fine, as I can copy it to lpt1: in DOS/Windows.

If you could tell me what device, etc you use, and the cable type I
could test this again more thoroughly.

Thanks!

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.