Subject: Re: Bad Magic -- Key board won't work
To: April G Gruhn <gudongfe@pilot.msu.edu>
From: Thilo Manske <Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/11/1999 18:57:27
On Sat, Sep 11, 1999 at 10:04:46AM -0400, April G Gruhn wrote:
> I have a major problem here: I can never log into NetBSD-1.4.1
> At first I thought it was a bad login binary so I downloaded base.tgz
> and put it on a new set of floppies. When NetBSD-1.4.1 gets to the
> "login: " prompt I am unable to type anything in at the keyboard.
> I edited /etc/ttys by adding a line for ttyv0 (which is what was used
> in NetBSD-1.4.1), but that didn't work. When you boot in single-user
            ^^^^^
You mean 1.3.x, right?

Try ttyE0 instead of ttyv0, wscons is now NetBSDs prefered virtual
console. There's probably no pcvt support in your kernel anymore.
(At least if it's based on GENERIC.)

Oh, make sure your /dev is up-to-date!
(Update Makedev and then execute it.)

Oh#2: You probably need some other changes in your /etc.
If you come from 1.3.x you don't have rc.wscons, wscons.conf
and your rc* files will not invoke them.

And since you are already there: install and edit mailer.conf,
nsswitch.conf and probably some other files :-) that are new in 1.4.
--
Dies ist Thilos Unix Signature! Viel Spass damit.