Subject: Re: CD-R drives, IDE or SCSI
To: Mark Andres <mark@giganet.net>
From: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/07/1998 08:08:50
> I am running NetBSD 1.3 on a home-built system (Asus TX97-XE Motherboard
> and P200MMX CPU). I am strongly considering purchasing a CD-R drive, but I
> would like to know whether it is better to get an IDe or SCSI drive. I
> would like to hear about the experiences of others. I can pull out my IDE
> CD-ROM which I rarely use and pop in a CD-R drive in its place. I have an
> Adaptec AHA-2940UW SCSI card which seems to be recognized by NetBSD, so I
> could use that if I get a SCSI CD-R drive. Any advice given would be
> greatly appreciated.

Either should work, although I think cdrecord insists on ATAPI rather than
run-of-the-mill IDE (that's just a matter of buying a new enough drive, I
think).  A SCSI CD-R would let you keep the existing CD-ROM (personally,
I don't consider a CD verified until I've read it on a different drive),
and also means that you have your data source and your fussy data sink on
different I/O busses, which can only help.