Subject: Re: T3/T1 cards - interest
To: cgd@netbsd.org (Chris G. Demetriou), Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/29/1998 23:29:39
On Oct 25, 11:16am, Chris G. Demetriou wrote:
} Dennis <dennis@etinc.com> writes:
} > Is netbsd to the point where *most" users are using the release, or are the
} > majority still running -current .? We're considering
} > re-porting to NetBSD...which we previously dropped because
} > everyone wanted -current which we could not realistically support.
}
} I have no feel for the actual numbers, but some of us NetBSD
} developers are committing to maintaining the released versions in a
} way that allows users of NetBSD to rely on them for production
} environments.

     I really like this.  I don't like the idea of running development
code, or code that hasn't been thoroughly tested, on production
servers.  This is one of the reasons I run NetBSD.  Just look at the
number of patches there are for the "stable" version of that L OS
(both kernal and userland).

} You'll note, for instance, the 1.3-family of releases.  There will be
} a 1.3.3 before too long, and whenever 1.4 comes out there'll be bug
} fix releases for it, as well.  I'd like to see the 'bug-fix' releases
} include more support for new hardware, too, so that people don't have

     This one is somewhat debatable.  New drivers should only be
included if they have been thoroughly tested.  And, even at that,
maybe they should be marked as being experimental.

} to wait a Long Time and/or upgrade to a new major release for new
} drivers.

     For the last several releases, core has been promising to put out
releases on a regular basis.  This hasn't happened, unless you count
the point releases; which aren't really releases, just bugfixes.

} My opinion is that if people have to be running -current, we're doing
} something wrong.

     I'll agree with this.  I won't run developmental code on
production servers.

}-- End of excerpt from Chris G. Demetriou